What Type of School
Going to school is a nightmare for any dyslexic student/child, so choosing the right school can be the vital part of the dyslexic student success for the future.
Sometimes its impossible to choose a school because of the number of children in the area, but if you can try and do your research, if the school has a bad reputation its going to be a bad one for dyslexic students because of their resources.
What should a good school have:-
- Dyslexic students with computers
- After school lesson
When looking around a school and meeting the staff you should make a effort to speak to the head of specific needs or a specific needs teacher.
Questions you should ask:-
- How many dyslexics do you have
- How many dyslexics are tested last year
- Do you have dyslexia teachers for specific needs
It’s also important when looking for a school ask
Other parents around the local area.
A good thing to do when looking around the school is
To see how many children as not in lesson or standing outside the classroom because they have been sent out, this will show you how they deal with the bad behavior student, a good school will have a teacher who will take them to a room so the student will work there for the rest of the day or lesson.
Also a one thing to remember with see the students who are misbehavior is that a number of them will be dyslexic and not found to be, this will show the level of testing for Dyslexia in the school. It is a known fact that children who misbehavior have learning problem and when ignoring them as just being bad, the student will keep misbehaving, but once they are tested and treated, they calm down and stop releasing there anger.
Most children have to go to a public run school, but you can apply for school not in your area, for better education for senior schools and college & sixth form why not get the student to travel by bus to the best school. You will find that their will be buses for your student to travel and return each day.
If you child can have a better education, it might be better changing school or choosing another one further away,
If a school is better trained in dyslexia, you will see a improvement in your child’s learning and attitude to learn, they will be more relax and better behavior.
But when looking for a school for your child don’t just go for the nearest, its important to find a school that help dyslexic student and give them to the right type of education.
Private school are normally good in testing and teaching dyslexic student because of their resources and funding. But it is difficult to get into this school unless you are able to pay their fees. But its worth taking the test to see you the dyslexic student can get in, because the school can sometimes have buries to help family.
There is a number of dyslexic school across the UK, most of these school are normally boarding schools.
These schools are good because they are expert in teacher’s children with dyslexia.
There are number of school that specializes in dyslexia across the UK but to find these schools you need to contact the dyslexia association.
Type of School
The type of school and college a student with Dyslexia should go to is:-
- Does the school or college have a sufficient understanding about Dyslexia in the special needs department
- How does the school or college help you the Dyslexic student
- Does the school or college see Dyslexia as a disadvantage or advantage
- How is the Dyslexic student taught and treated by the teachers in class
- Could you the student by able to concentrate in class
- How do the teachers teach there subjects and lessons
- Are the other children confident and willing to learn
- How is Dyslexic looked at with the students
- How does the school or college treat bullying
- What are the sizes of the classes
- Is the school and college have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere
- You the student should have the choice of which college you go to, it is you who has to learn their
- Does the school have a low bullying rate
- What are the classes like – relaxed, quiet and friendly
- What are the other children like to speak too
- Has the school or college got a good sport department
- Does the teacher have a good communication with the students in lessons and out of lessons
- Does the school or college have a action plan to treat and work and help the Dyslexic student.
It is good if you the Dyslexic student and also the parents to look at this action plan, so you know what you are entitled too
Junior school education is one the ‘musts’ in schooling. This is because junior school education teaches the children basics for later education.
If you know that you are having difficulty in your work or having problems with a topic, here are some tips:-
- Ask the teacher for extra work
- Ask the teacher to explain it slower in class
- Ask the teacher for some books to read up on in your spare time
- When you are doing task work, ask the teacher if you could go and work in a quieter area so you can concentrate
- Make a list on fact of each subjects, and split them into topic
- Do not rush to get your work done. It is important that the work is done well and easy for you and the teacher to understand it and that the work is correct
Sixth-Form or BTEC or G.N.V.Q
For a Dyslexic person sixth-form studies can be very difficult. The main reason for this is because the Dyslexic student finds it difficult because of the strategy of working in word thinking. It is not because of the teaching methods but the students work. The student is not able to write in enough depth for his or her written work, so the teacher thinks that the student has difficulty understanding of the work.
But everybody who is Dyslexic knows that the Dyslexic student has difficulty putting words onto paper and putting those words in depth.
So when in class show the teacher what you know by asking question and talking to the teacher about the subject in depth.